April 25, 2013

"Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God’s will in thought, purpose, and action),  So that the man of God may be complete and proficient, well fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work." II Timothy 3:16-17 (TAB)
 
We had reached the end of our visit. I was finishing up reading Scripture and we were discussing what we had just read when she walked in.  Tall, blond, athletic the RN briskly entered.  "Oh, I'm just finishing up," I said, "I'll get out of your way so you can do your visit."  I began to gather my things together.
 
"There's no need for you to leave."  She replied, turning to the patient, "I understand you have been having a little trouble with your bowels?" she queried.  The patient nods in agreement.
 
Bowels, bowels?  That doesn't really sound like a chaplain area of expertise.  I continue to gather my things as I keep an ear open for the next comment. 
 
Snap!! I see a glove being put on, and a quick, "Let's take a look, shall we?"  I begin to gather my things in earnest.  This is really not a chaplain area. 
 
"I'll just go now."  I say, "we were done anyway." 
 
"Oh, don't go," she responds, "she has an impacted bowel and you'll be a great distraction while I clean it out.  Stay, it'll be fine."
 
Impacted bowel, distraction, clean it out, stay.  The words come to me in a disjointed, loose limbed kind of way.  Really?  Stay?  I try to remember if this was ever in my job description.  I wonder if the patient is going to be embarrassed.  I wonder if I'm going to be sick or pass out or worse. 
 
The patients spouse comes in to assist the RN.  In order to "distract" the patient I begin to read more Scripture.  As I read, my mind is reminding me, don't look,
 
the Word of God is good for instruction -- yes, Lord but this?,
 
hold your breath,
 
the Word of God is good for reproof -- but what about impacted bowels?,
 
 no, really, don't look,
 
the Word of God will equip you for every good work, does this count as a good work, Lord?, 
 
 breath through your nose, eyes on the page not what's happening in the bed.  DON'T LOOK!!!  From the corner of my eyes I see the patient turned on her side, I hear her moans of discomfort, I keep reading, and reading, and. . .
 
Done.  The deed is done.  I really can't tell who is more relieved the patient or myself.  The RN snaps off the rubber gloves, gives a word of comfort to the patient, leaves the room to speak to the patients spouse, glances at me as if to say, "you did good." and strides out.
 
I sit down, weak at the knees.  I look at the patient, making small talk as I finally (really) finish my visit.  The momentary embarrassment passed and the patient and I enjoyed many more hours together reading and discussing the Scripture.  We never again shared a moment quite this intimate and for that I am grateful.
 
Lord, I thank you for your Word.  For all it's qualities and gifts.  I thank you that it will not go forth void but will accomplish that which it is sent to do.  I praise you and thank you that on that day, for that time, your Word kept me grounded in the moment, kept me present.  Please help me to remember that the only things that can embarrass us are those things that we let embarrass us and help me have the gift of making others feel comfortable in even the most potentially embarrassing moments.  Give me the gift of graciousness and compassion.  Amen.
 
 
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment