May 11, 2013

"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers [do not make mismatched alliances with them or come under a different yoke with them, inconsistent with your faith]."  II Corinthians 6:14a  (TAB)

"Have you seen this family yet?" he asked lounging in my doorway, grin on his face.  He mentioned the number of the county road they lived on and I glanced down at my to see/to do/to aspire to list,
"Not yet but they are on the list to see today," I replied.

"Oh, you are going to like this family," his grin expanded.  "They have a mixed marriage."

"A mixed what. . .?" 

"A mixed marriage.  It's not what you think.  You'll like them; they're fun," he said and turned to walk down the hall.

Some days Lord, some days SW's are a blessing and some days. . .not so much.  Making a note on my list that there may be some interesting family dynamics at this stop, I turned back to my desk to prepare for my visits for the day.

Driving through the Texas countryside to a part of the state I was not familiar with, I missed most of the beauty of the day as I did exactly what I'm not supposed to do -- I began to set my agenda and anticipate what I would respond with when "they" said this, then I would say this. . .I have to admit, I was unusually bright and insightful as I sped down the county road.  Like a dog worrying a bone I was driving with one eye on the road and the other on the picture I was painting as I compassionately ministered to this mixed marriage. 

Upon arrival to the patients home, I was ushered into the house by the patients grandson.  He led me down a hallway into his grandparents bedroom where the patient and his spouse were waiting.  Hm mm. . .mixed marriage?   Well, not in the obvious way. . .what did he mean, mixed marriage???

Introducing myself I sat down next to the bedside between the patient and his wife.  He in the bed, she sitting on the bed holding his hand.  I begin with the usual questions about their lives: how long have you been married?   how did you meet?  what do you do for a living?  and on we go.  They are delightful and the SW is right, I like them.  They had married at the age of 19 and 17 but to keep the local tongues from wagging, waited 3 years to have children.  They have had a happy life with only one real issue:  he was from one major religious denomination and she was from another.   Oh!  A mixed marriage!!! 

"I've had her pastor come and talk with me," he said, "and I just want to know if I'm going to heaven." 

Suddenly the room was full of landmines and I looked first at the spouse and then at the patient.  "I hope you don't think it's a cop out if I tell you, only God can determine who goes to heaven and who doesn't."  I began.

"Oh, I know that.  I guess I'm just wondering if what her pastor believes is right." 

Right, right?  Oh, boy, just toss the hand grenade out there.  I sense the spouse is sitting up straighter, stiffening with every word.  "I can't answer that either."  I sidestep another mine.  "I can only share with you what I believe.  I can tell you that I may be wrong.  Just because I have chosen to put my faith in this doesn't mean it's right."

"Well, then, tell me what you believe," he grins, ignoring his wife and my uncomfortableness.

And so, I bring out my Bible and begin down the road of salvation, intersecting with the believers judgement, answering his questions with scripture references as we go.  So, I began in one area of the scripture and he would ask a question that would take me to the next reference point.  His wife would look at the scriptures but was obviously unhappy and uncomfortable with the direction the conversation had taken.  My response was to focus more on him as the visit continued to the point of not looking her in the eye.

"And that's what I believe based on what I see in the scripture," I concluded.  Again emphasizing that not everyone agreed with me and we won't really know the truth until we stand before God.  Personally, I suspect we will all be a little surprised on that day when God reveals Himself to us. 

He nods and thanks me.  His wife has opened her mouth to say something when their grandson comes in saying their pastor has arrived.  The wife excuses herself to greet the pastor and the patient motions me closer to the bed as he whispers, "thank you.  That's what I believe too but to keep peace in the family and please her, I changed to her religion.  I hope you can come back and visit again.  I'd offer you a cup of coffee but you can't get one in this place."  We smile conspiratorially and pray quickly.  The patients wife enters the room with their pastor.  I thank them for letting me visit and thank the pastor for providing such good spiritual care.  I walk myself out of the house and move on to the next visit of the day.

A couple of days later I was told that the patient became non-verbal and then non-responsive shortly after my visit.  I wondered at that as during our visit the patient was awake and alert and orientated.  Perhaps this was a way of God providing protection to him -- sealing him in his declaration of faith so it could not be taken from him -- perhaps this was disease progression and I just made my visit at an opportune time.  His wife never allowed me to visit again.

Father, help me to remember that what we think something is (a mixed marriage, for instance) and what it is in reality may be two very different things.  Let me learn to lean on You more and on my agenda's, anticipations, plans less.  God, forgive me if I did anything that brought separation between this husband and wife.  I know the Word can become a stumbling block but help me to also use it as a stepping stone.  Lord always keep me humble and seeking, willing to admit I may be wrong but help me remain strong in my faith in You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment